Introduction to Oil Painting
This is the ideal course for students new to oil painting or with a little experience. Some background knowledge of drawing and painting fundamentals will be useful.
What The Course is About:
The course will explore the properties of oil paint, methods of application and painting surfaces, as well as historical and contemporary painting languages, through tutor guidance and structured projects.
What to bring to the first session: For the first lesson, please bring
1. Rags e.g. old T-shirts, kitchen paper– lots of these
2. At least 2 old glass containers
3. Brushes should be bristle-type. You could start with a large (8, 9 or 10) and a small (1, 2 or 3)
4. For cleaning brushes and thinning paint, Zest-it, the citrus-based turpentine must be used at PSAD because of health and safety. Other low odour turps must also NOT be used. Zest-it is available in the school shop.
5. Surfaces to paint on from canvas (linen or cotton duck), oil paint paper, hard board etc.
6. Palette i.e. tin tray, tear-off pad, plate etc.
7. Paint: This basic set will enable you to mix just about all the colours you will need.
Some background knowledge of drawing and painting fundamentals will be useful.
What will I achieve?
The course aims to increase confidence, and to establish a platform for future painting and individual artistic practice. By the end of the first term you will have gained an understanding of oil painting methods, materials and supports, and feel equipped to get the most out of the medium.
View all courses in Drawing & Painting